Limited information is currently available about Heuermann; however, according to a neighbor who spoke to NBC New York, he was born and raised on Long Island and has been a lifelong resident of the Massapequa area.
Suspect Rex Heuermann, who was arrested on Long Island in connection with the infamous Gilgo Beach murders, has been officially confirmed by four senior law enforcement officials familiar with the case. The Suffolk County police, sheriffs, and New York State Police were observed outside Heuermann’s residence throughout Friday morning. Later in the day, he is expected to appear in court, and Suffolk County prosecutors will hold a news conference to provide additional details about the arrest and the suspect.
Law enforcement agencies conducted a search of the suspect’s Massapequa Park home, aiming to uncover any potential evidence linking Heuermann to the series of killings.
While limited information is currently available about Heuermann, a neighbor interviewed by NBC New York revealed that he was born and raised on Long Island and has been a lifelong resident of the Massapequa area. In an interview with “Bonjour Realty,” a YouTube channel focusing on life in New York City, Heuermann mentioned working in the city since 1987 and having extensive experience with the Department of Buildings.
The discovery of human remains along Gilgo Beach over a decade ago has captured significant public attention, making the unsolved killings a subject of immense interest. The case gained even more national prominence when it served as the inspiration for the 2020 Netflix film “Lost Girls.“
The murders of 11 individuals, whose remains were found between 2010 and 2011, have presented a baffling challenge for investigators. The majority of the victims were young women engaged in sex work. Several bodies were discovered in close proximity to the town of Gilgo Beach, further adding to the mystery surrounding these tragic events.
Determining who killed them, and why, has vexed a slew of seasoned homicide detectives through several changes in police leadership. Last year, an interagency task force was formed with investigators from the FBI, as well as state and local police departments, aimed at solving the case.
The formation of the Gilgo Beach task force represents a renewed commitment to investigating the unsolved killings of mostly young women whose skeletal remains were found along a highway on Long Island, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison said.
“We’re happy to see that they’re finally active, the police, in accomplishing something. Let’s wait and see what it all leads to,” said John Ray, the attorney for the families of two victims, Shannan Gilbert and Jessica Taylor.
In talking about the bodies near Gilgo Beach, investigators have said several times over the years that it is unlikely one person killed all the victims.
News of a suspect being taken into custody comes a day after state police responded to a report of skeletal remains found in a wooded area off the Southern State Parkway in Islip. Police planned a briefing near the site on Friday afternoon. It wasn’t immediately clear if those remains were linked to the Gilgo Beach case.